There are many things that you can do to help reduce e-waste. You may not think that you can have a huge impact on your own, but even just one business reducing e-waste can make a big difference to the big picture, and if everyone in business did their bit it would make an even bigger reduction in the amount of waste that gets recycled. E-waste is toxic and it accounts for a lot of pollution, so any attempt to reduce it is helpful to the environment.
Here are five things that you can do to reduce e-waste:
- Hold onto electronic items longer. Instead of rushing out to get the newest model, use your old model for longer. Most electronics do not need to be replaced every time an “upgrade” comes on the market.
- Consider donating old electronics that are still in good working order. There are organisations that take some e-waste, like old cell phones and computers. You could help someone else with your donation
- Reuse parts if you can before you throw out old electronics. Plugs and cables can often be reused. Computer monitors and accessories can also be reused.
- Don’t throw out e-waste. Instead use an IT recycling service to deal with it properly, by reusing or recycling it.
- Buy used. Instead of buying brand new items, buy a refurbished model. You will save money as well as helping to keep e-waste out of the landfill.
If your business implements just these 5 tips you will make a difference, and imagine how much good it will do if many businesses resolve to do their part!